Skip to main content

My Mother My Roommate: Part 1 - The Move

This is my mom, Betty.
 I've know her for 43 years now. Of course when we first met, I couldn't walk, talk, eat on my own or anything else other than scream for her when I wanted something. Regardless of my selfish behavior, she was always there for me from the start. She wiped my nose and my butt all while thinking I was the cutest thing on the earth and she even taught me how to drink...


She devoted her life to me and to this day, she still talks me up and never, and I mean never, would say one disrespectful thing about me. This means that it is with careful consideration that I start this blog post series, My Mother My Roommate.

In 2009, a year after my father passed away, it was decided that it was time for Mom to sell her Arlington, Virginia house which she had shared with my father since 1962.
The House, The Mexican Restaurant and "New" Arlington

Mom was struggling with all of the responsibilities of dealing with a household on her own. I, being the only child, was finding it increasingly difficult to manage those responsibilities, along with my own as well as run a retail sewing store.

Mom agreed to move 547 miles north, to Montpelier, Vermont, abandoning suburban Washington, D.C. which held as she stated, "just too many memories." Within a few weeks, her house sold and I showed up with a moving truck. What happened after has been an adventure.

Moving day was easy. Mom gave everything away before I ever told her I was coming with a U-haul. All that was left was her Mid-Century Modern dining room set, end tables, sofas and other necessary furniture. I moved the large items to a storage facility near by, sold some knick-knacks at a yard sale and gave the final furniture pieces, which we didn't need, away.

Memories in front of the stairs and fireplace
There were never any tears shed by Mom. She took everything in stride, which worried me to a degree as I drove away with a handkerchief in hand, wiping back tears and wishing that I didn't have to leave my childhood home. Mom was right, there were just so many memories; the fireplace and staircase set the backdrop of every pivotal photograph worthy moment of my life, the walk up Abingdon Street from the local Mexican Restaurant, the squeaky poorly adjusted porch door and cliche or not, my height chart on the dining room molding just to name a few.

As we drove away with Calvin in Mom's lap (we'll hear more about him later), I vowed to myself to take care of my mom the same way that she took care of me, no complaining, loving respect, she comes first. Eight years later, I quietly mumble this credo to myself as the challenges of having Mom as my housemate multiply...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mother My Roommate Part 4: The Hazards of Drinking Alone

Got home after a long day of work and poured myself a Jack and Coke . I was two stiff drinks in when nature called.  Yes, I was quite aware that I was in the midst of a visit from my monthly “friend” when I wandered into my master bath. I can depend on finding stashed tampons and maxi pads in every bathroom of my house; three total. For extra emergencies, I have pads and tampons stashed in suitcases, work bags, kitchen drawers, my circus bag and even the glove compartment of my car. Additionally, somewhere in the house, I knew there was an ill purchased Diva cup I got to "save the environment." At this moment, last night, I had completely run out of sanitary products everywhere but the red sea dripping down my leg didn't care. I balled up some toilet paper, put on my ugliest pair of granny panties, called for Camilla (my English bulldog who hates walks but is forced on them) and started walking to my local drug store about a mile up the road.  STOP! The

A Certain Cure for Insomnia

I have a lot of hobbies; sewing, writing, and trapeze are just a few. When you do something for fun, it can take you anywhere.  Your heart pounds, your adrenaline flows and joy courses through your veins. That drug that courses through ones veins can sometimes make everything seem like a masterpiece. For instance, my early chapters of the Inertia Chronicles. My only direction was that it was going to be about  a girl who was always running from the real root of her problems, meanwhile blessed with a "superpower" to bring peace and happiness to others. Here's a sampling of the first few pages which I thought were sheer "genious," yes, I know it's spelled wrong. They may or may not be making it into book 3 or 4 after rigorous editing.      When Inertia got home she was anxious to tell her husband what had happened at the store.   Ever since she and Sasha moved to the sleepy New England town, she had been amused and equally horrified by the quirky beh

My Mother My Roommate: Part 3 - February 28, 2018

This is my mom, Betty with my dad sometime in the early 1980s. My dad died in 2008 and my mom's life changed a lot after that. She had to cope with being on her own for the first time in her life. She and my dad were married for 54 years before he passed. She was lonely and her one and only daughter lived over 500 miles away. Her independence didn't last very long. She moved in with me. She took up residence in my 5 bedroom Victorian doll house in the frozen tundra of Montpelier, Vermont. That is when the real fun started. I have a lot of stories about her. We spent a lot time together and a lot of the time was in the past nine years. Betty Boseley, Eggs Inc. Mother's Day 2017 I took this photo of her last year on Mother’s day. If there was ever a mother who deserved a day to celebrate, it was my mom. She was the salt of the earth. She was an unselfish and an amazingly giving person. If you've read my Blog entries, My Mother My Roommate, you know, she’s be